Question of the week:  It’s my first time applying for a student visa and I want to enter the U.S. early enough to have sufficient time to get prepared before my school starts.  Can I apply for my student visa as soon as I get my I-20 from the school?

학생비자를 처음 신청하려고 합니다.  학교  시작하기전 준비를 위해 충분한 시간을 두고 일찍 미국에 입국 하기 원합니다.  학교로부터 I-20 를 받으면 바로 학생 비자를 신청할수 있는지요? 한국어 계속

Students are encouraged to apply for their visa early to provide sufficient time for visa processing.  Students may apply for their visa as soon as they are prepared to do so.  However, before you apply for your F1 student visa, you should note that we are only able to issue your student visa within 120 days in advance of the course of your study registration date.  This date is noted on your I-20 as the report date.  If you apply for your visa more than 120 days prior to your start date or registration date as provided on the Form I-20, we will hold your application until we are able to issue the visa. So we strongly encourage you not to apply for a visa too early if you have more than 120 days left from your school start date.

If you are a first time student, we understand your desire to enter the United States as soon as possible to settle yourself before your school starts.  However, Department of Homeland Security regulations require that all initial or beginning students enter the U.S. 30 days or less in advance of the course of study start/report date as shown on the Form I-20.  You should consider this date carefully when making travel plans to the United States as a first time student.
학생비자 신청자는 비자 수속 기간을 고려하여 미리 비자를 신청하도록  권장합니다.  학생들은 준비가 되는데로 가능한 한 빨리 비자를 신청할수 있습니다.  그러나  학교 등록일전 120일이내에만 비자를 발급할수 있다는 점을 유의하시기 바랍니다. 이 등록일은 I-20 에 표시되어 있습니다. I-20 에 나와 있는 시작일 또는 등록일전  120일 보다 더 일찍 비자를 신청할 경우 비자를 발급할수 있을 때까지 비자 신청서류를 보류할 것입니다.  그러므로 학교 시작일전 120일 이내에만 비자를 신청하시기 바랍니다.

처음 가는 학생이라면 미국 생활에 적응하기위해 학교 시작하기전  가능한 빨리 미국에 가기를 원하는것은 이해합니다. 그러나 미국토안보부 규정에 의해 처음 공부를 시작하는 학생의 경우 I-20 에 나와 있는 학교 시작일/등록일전 30일 이내에만 미국에 입국할수 있습니다.   미국에서 처음 공부를 시작하려는 학생은 이 날짜를 고려하여 준비하시기 바랍니다.

originally posted on Apr 13, 2012 / updated on Apr 6, 2017