I’ll be performing in the United States.  What kind of visa do I need?

Every year, tens of thousands of international artists perform in the United States.  Travelling as a performer is a great experience; however, be sure to plan ahead to get your visa!

미국에서 공연을 하려고 합니다.  어떠한 비자가 필요한가요?

해마다 수천명이 넘는 국제적인 예술가/연예인들이 미국에서 공연을 합니다.  공연을 위한 여행은 좋은 경험이 될 수 있습니다.  공연 계획이 있을 경우 비자를 받기 위해서는 미리 준비하시기 바랍니다.

한국어 연결
Most professional performers must apply for a P- or O-class visa.  A U.S. sponsor (usually an agent or the performance venue) will file an I-129 petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  Assuming that petition is approved, the applicant will have a visa interview at a U.S. Embassy.  It’s important to plan ahead—visa petition processing can take several weeks, or even months.

There are a few exceptions to the requirement for a P- or O- visa, most notably for amateur entertainers who will not be paid for performances and will perform in a social and/or charitable context.  Amateurs (for example, a church choir performing at a charity concert) can travel using a B1/B2 tourist visa.  You can’t use this category if you’re a professional performer in your home country or if you are an amateur who will be paid for your performances in the U.S., though you may be reimbursed for travel and living expenses.

Even if you were just invited to perform in the U.S. at one show, and you believe there is not enough time to go through the required petition process, resist the temptation to travel under the VWP or on your B1/B2 visa.  By misrepresenting your purpose of travel you would be subject to future inadmissibility.

1) The term “member of the entertain profession” includes not only performing artists such as stage and movie actors, musicians, singers and dancers, but also other personnel such as technicians, electricians, make-up specialists, film crew members going to the U.S. to produce films, etc.

2) Traveling with a B1 is appropriate for actors and professional entertainers participating only in a cultural program sponsored by the sending country, performing for a non-paying audience, receiving remuneration for all expenses, including per diem, from the member’s government, or participating in a competition for prize money and expenses only.

3) Further, musicians/recording artists may travel on a B1 if:

a. The musician is going to the U.S. to utilize recording facilities for recording purposes only;
b. The recording will be distributed and sold only outside U.S., and
c. No public performances will be given.

대부분의 전문 공연인들은 반드시 P 또는 O 비자를 받아야 합니다. 미국의 스폰서 (일반적으로 공연을 기획한 기관) 가 미국 이민국에 I-129 청원서를 제출해야 합니다.  제출하신 청원서가 승인이 되면 신청자는 대사관에 비자를 신청하셔야 합니다.  청원서 수속기간은 몇주 또는 몇달이 소요될 수 있으므로 미리 계획을 세워 진행 하시는 것이 중요합니다.   

P 또는 O 비자가 필요하지 않은 경우도 있습니다.  출연료를 받지 않고 자선공연에 출연하는 아마추어 연예인이 이에 해당됩니다. 아마추어 (예를 들어, 교회 합창단이 자선공연에서 공연하는 경우) 들은 관광/상용 비자로 공연을 할 수 있습니다. 본국에서 직업 연예인으로 활동하거나 아마추어로 미국에서 공연 출연료를 받을 경우, 여행경비를 상환받는다 하더라도 관광/상용비자로 미국에서 공연을 할 수 없습니다.

미국에 단 한번의 공연을 위해 입국하며 청원서를 수속할 시간이 충분하지 않다고 판단을 해서 비자면제프로그램이나 관광/상용비자로 입국하려 하지 마시기 바랍니다.  미국입국 목적이 허위일 경우, 추후 비자 부적격자에 해당이 될것입니다. 


1) 전문 연예인 멤버란  연극 배우나 영화 배우, 뮤지션, 가수, 댄서들 뿐만 아니라 기술자, 전기 기술자, 메이크업 전문가, 영화를 찍기위해 가는 촬영팀원등 모두를 포함합니다.

2) 배우나 전문 공연인들이 B-1 비자로 미국에서 공연을 하기 위해서는 참가 공연인의 정부가 후원하는 문화행사에만 참가하여야하며, 입장료를 받지 않는 행사, 즉 무료관객 앞에서만 공연을 하고, 참가 공연인의 정부가 출장비를 포함한 모든 경비를 부담하여야만 합니다.

3) 또한 음악가나 음반 가수가 B-1 비자로 가시려면 아래 3가지 사항에 모두 해당이 되어야 합니다.

a. 음악가가 레코딩 목적만으로 녹음 시설을 이용하기 위해 미국에 갈 경우
b. 레코딩이 미국 외의 국가에서만 배포 및 발매될 경우
c. 대중 공연을 하지 않는 경우