I am a Pastor and want to work in the United States. Can I do this? 저는 목사이고 미국에서 일하고 싶습니다. 가능할까요?

Yes! Promoting religious freedom is a core U.S. foreign policy goal.  Like South Korea, the United States sees religious freedom as a fundamental human right and guarantees the liberty to practice religion within our constitution. In support of religious freedom and the desire of religious workers to be able to work legally in the U.S., we created for the first time in 1990 under the Immigration and Nationality Act, a separate visa category called the R (religious) visa specifically for religious workers.

가능합니다.  미국 외교정책의 핵심 목표는 종교의 자유를 증진시키는것입니다. 미국도 한국처럼 종교의 자유를 기본인권으로 간주하고 헌법으로 종교 활동의 자유를 보장하고 있습니다.  미국은 종교의 자유와 종교계 종사자들이 미국에서 합법적으로 일할 수 있도록 이민법에 의해 종교 종사자들을 위한 R (종교) 비자를1990년에 처음 만들었습니다. 

한국어 연결

R visas allow religious workers to enter the US to conduct worship or work in a religious capacity, either as a minister of the denomination, or in a religious occupation or vocation for a bona fide, non-profit religious organization on a temporary basis.

To qualify for an R visa, you must be a member of a denomination that has a bona fide non-profit religious organization in the U.S., the religious denomination and its affiliates must be in or qualify for tax exemption, and you must have been a member of the religious denomination for at least two years. When applying for a visa, you must have an approved petition from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) filed by your employing religious organization.  R visa applicants must also be interviewed by a consular officer to determine eligibility.  Generally, five years is the maximum amount of time you can work in the US on an R visa.  If you have worked in the US for five years under the R visa, you will be required to maintain a presence outside of the US for at least one year to be able to qualify for the R visa again.

R비자는 종교자들이 미국에 입국해서 일정 기간 동안 종교 단체(교파)의 성직자 또는 합법적인 비영리 종교기관에서 직업 종교인으로 근무를 하거나 예배를 인도하는 것을 허가합니다.

R비자 받을 자격이 되기 위해서는, 신청자는 미국의 합법적인 비영리종교 단체/기관의 소속이며, 그 종교 단체와 그 산하기관들이 세금 면제를 받고 있거나 세금면제를 받을 자격이 되어야 하며, 신청자는 최소 2년동안 그 종교 단체 (교파) 에 소속되어있어야 합니다.  종교비자 신청시,  신청자를 고용할 종교기관이 미국이민국(USCIS)에 제출하여 승인받은 청원서가 필요합니다.   종교비자 신청은 인터뷰를 하셔야 하고 비자발급 결정 여부는 인터뷰시 영사가 결정합니다. 일반적으로, R비자로 미국에서 일할 수 있는 최대기간은 5년입니다.  만약 R비자로 미국에서 5년동안 일해왔다면, R비자를 다시 받기 위해서는 최소 1년동안 미국외 지역에서 체류해야 합니다.


About US Embassy Seoul

U.S. Embassy Seoul Consular Section
This entry was posted in Nonimmigrant Visas 비이민비자 and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.