VWP_VisaFor many years, Koreans travelling to the United States for temporary business or pleasure needed to first obtain a B1/B2 (business/tourism) visa.  However, since 2008, U.S. policy has permitted citizens of the Republic of Korea to travel to the U.S. visa-free under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

The VWP permits nationals from designated countries to apply for admission to the United States for 90 days or less as nonimmigrant visitors for business or pleasure without first obtaining a U.S. nonimmigrant visa. As a result, most Korean tourists and short-term business people may now travel to the U.S. without a visa. This is great news for Koreans, because the VWP is faster, cheaper, and easier than coming to the Embassy to apply for a B1/B2 visa.

몇년전까지만 해도 한국인들이 상용 또는 관광 목적으로 미국 입국시 반드시 B1/B2 (상용/관광) 비자가 필요했습니다.  그러나 2008년부터 미국 법규정에 의해 한국인들은 비자면제프로그램을 이용해서  무비자로 미국 여행이  가능해졌습니다.

비자면제 프로그램이란 비자면제프로그램에 가입된 국가의 국민들이 관광 또는 상용 목적으로 최장 90일까지 비이민비자를 받지 않고 미국을 여행 할 수 있게 합니다.  그러므로 대부분의 한국인들은 관광 또는 단기 상용의 목적일 경우 비자없이도 미국 여행이 가능해졌습니다.  비자면제프로그램은 B1/B2 비자를 신청하기 위해 미국대사관을 방문하는 절차보다 신속, 저렴한 비용으로 간편하게 이용할 수 있어 한국인들에게는 반가운 소식입니다.

한국어 연결
Nowadays, a tourist or business traveler from a VWP country (such as Korea) requires a B1/B2 visa in relatively few cases:

  • Long Trips: If your stay will last more than 90 days, you will need to get a B1/B2 visa.
  • Travelers with an old passport: Travel under the VWP is restricted to travelers possessing passports with specified security features. All VWP travelers must have a machine-readable passport. In addition, Nationals of the Republic of Korea require passports with an integrated chip containing the information from the data page (e-passports).
  • VWP Ineligibilities: You cannot use the VWP if you have ever been refused a U.S. visa, have ever been arrested (even if you were never convicted), or have a visa ineligibility (http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/ineligibilities/ineligibilities_1364.html). A nonimmigrant visa, if approved, would be the only way that a traveler whose ESTA application has been denied would be authorized to travel to the U.S.
  • Frequent Travelers: The terms of the VWP are very clear – it is only to be used for occasional, short visits to the U.S. If the CBP officer thinks you are trying to “reset” the clock by making a short trip out of the U.S. and re-entering for another 90-day period, you can be denied entry. (If that happens, you will have to obtain a visa for any future travel to the U.S.)

To start enjoying the benefits of the VWP, a traveler must first obtain authorization from CBP. Upon completion of an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) application, a traveler is notified of his or her eligibility to travel to the United States under the VWP. Each approved ESTA application generally is valid for two years or until the applicant’s passport expires, whichever comes first, and allows for multiple visits to the United States within that period without having to apply for another ESTA approval.

Although a third party, such as a relative or travel agent, is permitted to submit an ESTA application on behalf of a VWP traveler, the traveler is still responsible under the law for the answers submitted on his or her behalf. Please note that use of a private service to apply for travel authorization via ESTA will not expedite approval. Third party websites or travel agencies that provide information about ESTA and submit ESTA applications for VWP travelers, as well as those that assist applicants with B1/B2 visa applications, are not endorsed by, associated with, or affiliated in any way with DHS or the U.S. government.

It should also be noted that an ESTA approval only authorizes a traveler to board a carrier for travel to the United States under the VWP. In the same way that a valid visa does not constitute a determination of admissibility, an approved ESTA is not a guarantee of admissibility to the United States at a port of entry. In all cases, DHS CBP officers make admissibility determinations at U.S. ports of entry or pre-clearance facilities.

At the time of application for admission, a VWP applicant must:

  • Be in possession of a round-trip ticket that will transport the individual out of the United States to any other foreign port or place as long as the trip does not terminate in contiguous territory or an adjacent island*; except that the round trip ticket may transport the traveler to contiguous territory or an adjacent island, if the traveler is a resident of the country of destination or if arriving at a land border, provide evidence of financial solvency and a domicile abroad to which the traveler intends to return;
  • Be arriving on a designated carrier that is signatory to a VWP agreement, if applicable;
  • Have a machine-readable passport valid for 6 months beyond the period of intended stay, or essentially 9 months (90 days + 6 months). The Department of State’s 6-month list extending the validity of certain foreign passports can be found on the Department of State Website Countries with Agreements with the United States to Extend Passport Validity for an Additional Six Months. (A traveler with an expired passport is ineligible for VWP admission); and,
  • Complete an Arrival/Departure Form I-94W at land border ports of entry. Travelers arriving at a land border will be required to pay the required Form I-94W processing fee.

In addition, VWP visitors may not file an application to change status to an immigrant or another nonimmigrant classification or extend their stay beyond the 90-day timeframe. VWP applicants waive their right to proceedings before an Immigration Judge, unless they make an asylum application.  If you are admitted to the United States under the VWP, you may take a short trip to Canada, Mexico, or a nearby island and generally be readmitted to the United States under the VWP for the remainder of the original 90 days granted upon your initial arrival in the United States. Therefore, the length of time of your total stay, including the short trip, must be 90 days or less.

For more information, please visit http://www.ustraveldocs.com/kr/kr-niv-visawaiverinfo.asp, and refer to CBP’s frequently asked questions at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/business_pleasure/vwp/faq_vwp.xml.

* As defined by Immigration and Nationality Act 101(b) and Title 8 OF Code of Federal Regulations (8 CFR § Sec. 286.1).

최근에는 비자면제프로그램에 가입한 국가 (한국 포함) 국민이 관광/상용의 목적일 경우라도 B1/B2 비자를 받아야 하는 경우가 있습니다

  • 장기간 여행: 귀하의 체류기간이 90일 이상인 경우 B1/B2비자를 받아야 합니다.
  • 전자(기계인식) 여권을 소지하지 않은 여행자:  비자면제프로그램으로 여행시 보안기능이 있는 여권을 소지해야 합니다.  비자면제프로그램을 이용하는 모든 여행자들은 반드시 기계인식 여권을 소지하셔야 합니다.  한국인들은 개인정보가 입력된 전자칩이 부착된 전자여권(e-passports)을 소지하고있어야 합니다.
  • 비자면제프로그램 이용 자격이 안되는경우 :  미국비자가 거절된적이 있거나 체포 (유죄판결을 받지 않은 경우도 포함) 된적이 있거나, 또는 비자 발급 받을 자격 (http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/ineligibilities/ineligibilities_1364.html) 이 되지 않는 경우에는 비자면제프로그램 이용 자격이 되지 않습니다.  전자여행허가(ESTA) 신청이 거절된 경우는 반드시 비이민비자를 받아서 여행을 하셔야 합니다. 
  • 미국방문이 빈번한 여행자: 비자면제프로그램 이용목적은  단기방문 목적으로 미국을 가끔 방문시에만 가능하다고 정의되어있습니다.   만약 미국이민국 직원이 귀하께서 주어진90일 기간을 체류한후 또 다시 90일의 체류기간을 받기 위해 미국을 일시적으로 출국후 다시 미국에 입국 하는것이라고 판단될 경우, 귀하의 입국을 거부할 수 있습니다. (이 경우 앞으로 미국 입국시 반드시 목적에 맞는 비자를 받아야 합니다)

비자면제프로그램을 이용하기 위해서는 첫번째로 미국 세관 및 국경 보호국 (CBP)으로 부터 승인을 받아야 합니다.  정확하게 작성한 전자여행허가(ESTA) 신청서를 제출하여 신청자가 비자면제프로그램을 이용한 미국 여행이 가능한지에 관한 결과를 받게 됩니다.   승인된 전자여행허가서는 일반적으로 2년이지만 여권만료일이 그 전이면 여권만료일까지만 유효하며 유효기간동안 추가 전자여행허가 승인 없이 여러번 미국 방문을 할수 있습니다.

친척이나 여행사 같은 제 삼자가 신청자를 대신해서 전자여행허가서를 제출할수 있지만 신청서상의 모든 답변에 대한 법률적인 책임은 신청자에게 있습니다.  또한 사설업체를 통해 전자여행허가서를 신청하더라도 승인절차가 빠르게 진행되지는 않습니다. 여행사나 사설업체의 홈페이지가 전자여행허가제에 관련된 정보와 비자면제프로그램 이용자를 위해 전자여행허가서 제출 또는 B1/B2비자신청자들에게 비자신청에 관한 정보를 제공할수 있지만 이러한 업체들은 미국토안보부 또는 미국정부로 부터 인가를 받았거나 연관된 기관이 아닙니다.  

또한 전자여행허가 승인이란 비자면제프로그램으로 미국 입국 신청을 하기 위해 항공기/선박에 탑승을 허락하는 것입니다.  즉, 유효한 비자가 미국 입국을 보장한다거나 전자여행허가 승인이 미국입국항에서의 입국을 보장하는 것은 아닙니다.  미국 입국여부는 입국항에 있는 미국토안보부 소속 이민국 직원이 결정합니다.

비자면제프로그램 여행자들은 미국입국시 아래 모든 상항을 충족해야 합니다.

  • 미국 여행후 미국을 출국해 다른 나라로 입국할 왕복 항공권을 소지하고 최종목적지가 미국 국경의 인접 지역 또는 근접 섬나라가 아니어야 합니다*: 단 여행자가 최종 목적지인 인접 지역 또는 근접 섬나라의 영주권자이거나 또는 미국국경에  육로로 입국하는 경우 경제적인 능력과 해외에 거주지가 있어 여행후 본인 거주지로 돌아갈것이라는 것을 증명할수 있는 경우는 예외입니다.   
  • 비자 면제 프로그램에 조인한 항공사 및 선박 편으로 도착해야 함
    미국내 예상 체류기간 보다 6개월이상 유효하거나 9개월 (90일 + 6개월) 이상 유효한 기계인식 여권을 소지하여야 합니다.  국무부의 특정 외국 여권6개월 규정에 관한 안내는 국무부 홈페이지 Countries with Agreements with the United States to Extend Passport Validity for an Additional Six Months 에서 확인하실수 있습니다. (만료된 여권 소지자는 비자면제프로그램을 이용할수 없습니다)     
  • 육로로 입국시 미국 입출국 카드 (I-94W)를 작성해야 하며 미국 입출국 카드(I-94W) 수속 수수료를 지불해야 합니다.

또한 비자면제프로그램 여행자들은 이민 비자 또는 다른 비이민비자로 체류자격 변경이나 체류기간을 규정된 90일보다 더  연장 할 수 없습니다.  비자면제프로그램 신청자들은 이민국 판사에게 탄원할 수 있는 신청자의 권리를 포기해야 합니다. 단, 망명신청의 경우는 예외입니다.    비자면제프로그램으로 입국후 캐나다, 멕시코 또는 인접 섬나라로 여행을 할 수 있으나 미국에 재입국시 처음 미국입국시 허가 받은 체류기간 90일에서 이전에 미국에 체류한 기간과 여행기간을 제외한  남은기간만 체류할수 있습니다.  즉, 미국 체류기간과 인접국가 여행기간을 합쳐서90일이 넘지 않아야 합니다.  

더 자세한 안내는http://www.ustraveldocs.com/kr/kr-niv-visawaiverinfo.asp를 참고하시거나 미국토안보부 홈페이지http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/business_pleasure/vwp/faq_vwp.xml 에서 받으실수 있습니다.

*  미국Immigration and Nationality Act 101(b) and Title 8 OF Code of Federal Regulations (8 CFR § Sec. 286.1)법에 의해 정의된 지역