Do you have a student visa?

여름방학이 다가오면서 미국으로 어학연수 또는 유학을 준비하는 학생분들이 많으실텐데요 오늘은 미국에서 합법적으로 학생 신분을 유지하기 위해 기억해야 하는 중요한 몇 가지를 소개하도록 하겠습니다.

우선, 학생비자 (F1) 을 발급 받으셨다면, 입학허가서 (I-20)에 기재된 학업 시작일로부터 30일 이내에 미국 입국신청이 가능합니다. 유효한 I-20는 미국 입국시에는 물론, 미국에서 공부하는 기간 동안 반드시 필요한 서류이니 잊지마세요.  정규대학을 기준으로 한 학기당 12 학점 이상을 이수해야 풀타임 학생으로 체류자격이 유지되며, 그 외 프로그램도 학교의 규정에 따라 풀타임의 기준이 다를 수 있으니 반드시 학교 관계자와 확인하세요.

여기서, 간단한 Q & A를 해볼까요?

  1. Q: 미국내에서 학업 중 학생비자가 만료되었는데 어떻하죠?
    A: 미국내에서 유효한 I-20를 소지하시고 학생 신분을 유지하고 있다면, 미국비자가 만료되어도 반드시 갱신할 필요가 없습니다.  다만, 미국 출국 후 재입국을 하기 위해서는 유효한 비자가 필요하니 반드시 비자를 재발급 받으셔야 합니다.

  2. Q: 비자는 유효한데 여권을 재발급 받았어요.
    A: 비자가 있는 구여권과 새여권을 입국시 함께 제출하세요. (단, 영문이름 등의 여권 정보가 같을 경우)

  3. Q: OPT중 잠시 귀국했다가 미국에 재입국하려는데 비자가 만료되었어요.
    A: 학생비자를 재신청하세요.  EAD 카드를 추가서류에 포함하시기 바랍니다.

마지막으로, 학생 신분으로 미국내 합법적인 취업은 지극히 제한적입니다.  학교밖에서의 취업은 대부분 금지되오니, 학교가 아닌 곳에서 근무를 시작하기 이전에 반드시 학교측의 담당자(International Student Advisor)와 비자 규정에 관하여 확인하시기 바랍니다.


As the summer break approaches, there are a lot of students preparing to study at an English language school or a university in the United States. This week, we will talk about a few things you will need to keep in mind to stay legal while you are studying in America.

First, once you’ve received your F-1 student visa, you can enter the United States no more than 30 days before the start of your program, as indicated on your I-20. Of course you will need to carry your valid I-20 with you when you enter America.  You should also be careful not to lose it after that, as it is an absolutely necessary document during your studies. You can keep yourself in good standing by making sure you are a full-time student, taking at least 12 units of study each semester, the standard set by normal universities. However, other programs might define full-time differently, so please check with a school official.

Here is a simple Q&A for the most common questions:

  1. Q: What should I do if my visa expires while I am in the middle of my studies?
    A: If you have a valid I-20 and a student ID card and remain in the States, there is no reason to renew your visa, even if it has expired. However, if you leave America and want to re-enter, a valid visa is required, so you will need to renew it before returning to your studies.

  2. Q: My visa is still valid, but I have renewed my passport. What do I do?
    A: Please present your new passport together with the old passport containing the visa when you enter the United States. (Note: The English spelling of your name and other information needs to be exactly the same.)

  3. Q: I am in the middle of OPT and I had to return home, during which time my visa expired. What do I do?
    A: You will need to apply to renew your student visa. Please include with your application your Employment Authorization card.

Finally, it is extremely unusual that you would be able to work legally in the United States with only your student ID.  Most off campus work for foreign students in the U.S. is generally forbidden,  so check with your International Student Advisor about the visa regulations before you accept a job not at your school.


About US Embassy Seoul

U.S. Embassy Seoul Consular Section
This entry was posted in Nonimmigrant Visas 비이민비자, Policies and Procedures 규정 및 절차, Question of the Week 이번주의 질문, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s